Tuesday 28 June 2011

Chin Chin

125 Flinders Lane
Melbourne, 3000

(03) 8663 2000

Daily 11am-late
No bookings


 
'Have you been to Chin Chin?' , 'Have you been to Chin Chin?', 'Have you been to Chin Chin?' I almost felt like I was back in South East Asia, 'Plait your hair?', 'Madame, plait your hair?' I actually had to get my hair plaited just so I could avoid the question. This is how I started to feel about Chin Chin. So there was no choice on where we would eat Monday night/date night. That's the kind of buzz that this restaurant is generating.
Situated up the top end of Flinders Lane amongst the other to-be-seen-in restaurants such as Coda and Culmulus Inc, Chin Chin promises to bring to you a modern take on street style Asian food, in a fun and stylish laid back setting. There is an emphasis on communal eating as the dishes on the menu are designed to be shared(although in my eyes ALL dishes are designed to be shared-with me). And it's a great menu, although at first I was a bit skeptical as there is so much on offer, so many different cuisines from Thai, Viet, Indian and more, and I'm generally of the belief of 'Jack of all trades- Master of nothing'. But this menu was really well thought out offering up some tasty, fun and authentic dishes.

 Kingfish Sashimi w/ lime, chilli, coconut and thai basil  $14

Steamed dumplings of chicken, sweetcorn and shitake w/ spring onion & ginger dressing  $11

Crispy barramundi & green apple salad w/ caramalised pork, chilli & lemongrass   $24

Crispy skinned mandarin duck, master stock braised w/ yellow bean   $33

"Morning Glory" wok tossed siamese water cress w/ yellow bean & chilli    $14


Three colour pudding, layers of sweet beans w/ pandan infused tapioca, caramel & coconut crushed ice    $9
Layered jellies of coconut milk, passion fruit w/ slow poached pineapple & toasted coconut  $9

The food was lovely, the kingfish sashimi was amazing. If I'd been at home I would have drunk up all the left over liquid. I love morning glory, not only because of the hilarious name but also because it really is a wonderful tasting vegetable and this dish really took me back to Thailand. The duck was sweet and the szechuan pepper that came on the side was a great addition. The dumplings were fragrant and the barramundi was fantastic with the apple salad-yum! Now to the deserts....oh dear me, they truly reminded me of being back in Singapore. My brother and I would go off to the movies as much as possible and then sneak downstairs to the desert stand. Every week we would try something new. It was always sweet, it was always sticky and it was always brilliant. I'm so happy that now I will be able to have my weirdo corn and bean deserts done the proper way.
The menu also offers you the 'feed me' option. Chef's choice of 7 courses for $66 per person. Absolute  bargain!
Roaming around the floor is 'The Wine Guy' and his job is to help you match your drinks to your food, we had already ordered our 1st carafe of white wine from our fantastic waiter Byron, so didn't get to chat to 'vino man'. Hopefully next time we will take the time and use his expertise. The wine list is really reasonably priced. It is an all Australian wine menu and I loved the fact that the wine makers are listed by name as well. They have a great selection of local and Asian beers that you can even get in long necks-just like the ones I would get at 7/11 on Koh San rd(I'm so classy). You can also get cocktails, pretty decent ones too, from what I heard and saw on the table next to us.
The venue itself was spacious with a large bar along one wall where you can have a drink and wait to be seated, or alternatively even pull up a stool and have your meal. There is also plenty of table seating  and at the back is the kitchen in full view. I love to watch chefs work and next time I go I may try and get a seat closer to the action so I can enjoy the show. The decor is modern/industrial/Asian/pop kind of fusion, it all sounds very distorted and weird but it works.  Chris Lucas is the brains behind this new venture, along with executive chef Andrew Gimber (ex Jimmy Liks from Sydney) and Ben Cooper (St Ali, Nobu, Ezard). Well done boys, you have put together a vibrant menu in wonderful surrounds. Also a nod to the unnamed chefs working up a sweat to feed the hoards of hungry Melburnian food lovers.
This place has only been opened for a month, so even though I would like to say it was up and coming, it was so jam packed that it is quite obvious that they have already arrived. 

Ratings out of 10
Food 7/10
Service 7/10
Atmosphere 7/10
Value 8/10

Chin Chin  7.3/10

Would I return? Yes, great night out!



Chin Chin on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I'm generally of Hair melbourne
    the belief of 'Jack of all trades- Master of nothing'. But this menu was really well thought out offering up some tasty, fun Melbourne hair
    and authentic dishes.

    ReplyDelete