Tuesday 31 May 2011

The Station Hotel

03 9687 2913
59 Napier St 
Footscray,
Victoria 3011



I, like many Melburnians, had heard the buzz about The Station Hotel in Footscray, but considering that I am 'westie', I figured it was one of those places that I would get to one day. Last night hubby and I secured a babysitter and decided to go somewhere cab-able(I realise that is not a word) so we could both have a couple of drinks. Finally 'that day' had arrived!
I was expecting a kind of workman pub feel like The Napier in Fitzroy, but it was far from that. The place was definitely welcoming but still tastefully decorated and really classy. I am so happy I decided to wear some lipstick.
Sean Donovan's Footscray pub well deserves the media attention it has received. To start with the man knows food. He has worked at three Michelin star restaurants in the UK and France and was the head chef for Paul Wilson at The Botanical in South Yarra, and all this experience and talent is shown in the menu.
 Freshly shucked Coffin Bay(SA) oysters with shallot vinegar $3.50 each

Crumbed mussels w olives and chorizo $15

Selection of charcuterie, cured and smoked meats$22

400g Castricum Bros(VIC)dry aged grass fed Black Angus rump steak $38

500g grass fed Black Angus rib eye $42

The oysters were fresh, the mussels were so full of flavour and beautifully presented that we started eating them before I remember to take the photo. The charcuterie board was generous and delicious with it's mixed meats and terrines and oh so yummy parfait, and the steaks...oh the steaks were perfectly cooked and so so big, next time I may have to order less starters because I felt like a failure that I couldn't get through it. You get a choice of either bearnaise or pepper sauce, that's it. The good thing is that they are both equally decadent, just depends on what mood your in.
The waiters are knowledgeable and take the time to explain the menu, specials and can even tell you where the produce was sourced. They keep an eye on you and without pause we had our drinks replenished and our bread basket filled.
The wine list is small but pretty decent, although we didn't get to try any as we only had beer on the brain.
All in all The Station Hotel has definitely lived up to the hype. The service was flawless, the food was amazing and because it is still a pub the beer is available in pints-heaven!

Ratings out of 10
Food 7/10
Service 7/10
Atmosphere 7/10
Value 9/10

The Station Hotel  7.4/10

Would I return? Yes, and so close to home.



Station Hotel on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment