Friday 1 July 2011

The hunt for Phở

I love pho! From the 1st time I ever tried it at a Vietnamese restaurant in Footscray many, many moons ago. So fragrant, so fresh, so enticing. Back then your pho came with a little boiled quail egg and some cashews, the texture was great. Times have changed and most places have taken the cheaper route and omitted them, but they are forgiven as the broth always makes me feel good.
Have a cold? Have some pho. Feeling hot? Have some pho.Got a hangover? Have some pho. It's your child's 1st birthday? Have some pho. You get the idea. 
I always get excited when after you've ordered, they bring out the plate with bean shoots, Vietnamese mint, basil, fresh chilli and a quarter of a lemon. That means that my giant bowl of goodness will be out soon. I always think 'I can't finish that!', and I can't. Never have, probably never will, but I always give it a red hot go.

When my now hubby first made the move to come and live with me in Australia, he took me to Rockpool, I took him out for Pho! The photo above is what was left from that eventful day. Ever since, he too has been hooked on the stuff.
So in honour of the meal that I could happily have for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and brunch and supper.... I have declared July to be  Pho month! I will hit my favorite places and hopefully discover some new ones along the way. And maybe, just maybe, I will find what I hope to be Melbourne's best Pho(in my eyes anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment